The West Mifflin Police Department has been made aware that credit card skimming devices had possibly been placed at the self-check-out lines at the West Mifflin Sam’s Club and Target, as well as at the self-pay tables at the Applebee’s restaurant.
This is an active investigation at this time.
If you patronized and/or made purchases at any of these locations between 05/14/2022 and 05/15/2022 please check any accounts used to ensure that they have not been compromised. Should you find any suspicious activity or unauthorized transactions, please contact an account representative to report this activity and contact our Department to file a report and to assist in this investigation.
What do card skimmers look like?
They’re made to look very similar to the device they’re attached to – here are some examples:
Some helpful links:
- FBI – “Skimming”
- Forbes – “How To Spot a Credit Card Skimmer”
- TribLive – “Credit card skimmer found in Frazer tied to 2 other cases, police urge awareness”
- TribLive – “2 men accused of using credit card skimmer at Sam’s Club in Frazer, possibly other locations”
- PCMag – “How to Spot and Avoid Credit Card Skimmers and Shimmers”
- NWCU – “How to Spot an ATM Skimmer”